Question 2- Why does your van make you smile?

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:22 pm

I was talking to a V-dubber at Druridge Bay last week who said that when he bought his van, he had a grin across his face from Kent to Newcastle driving back.

Explain the feeling that makes you smile when in the van? In other words next time your van does this to you try to capture why you think its happening...share your thoughts please!!! Once a couple of comments appear I will share mine;)m
maud

Postby The Lockkeeper » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:34 pm

When I bought my Beach Buggy, I had to drive it back almost 200 miles in an absolute storm,. The all- weather gear was so useless I ended up taking it off to stop it flapping. I conked out twice, doused it in WD40 then carried on. I was wearing WW2 flying jacket, waterproof pants and motorbike gauntlets and halfway back the drivers wiper packed in at the 12 o clock position and I had to drive with my head out the side...but I pissed myself laughing all the way back.

I think it was the absurdity of it. In reality, driving round in this day and age in a forty odd year old car is so mad (yet strangely satisfying ) that you can't help but smile when you realise what the hell you are doing Makes you feel like a bit of a rebel. Never one of the sheep. Look at me I'm different and loving it.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman....

Grant & Sharon / Man-Bug, Early Bay and Hippo.
The Lockkeeper

Postby Margaret McManus » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 pm

I had the beetle out yesterday, hood down, enjoying the sunshine, then got it home and was pottering about and caught a few splashes of rain while in the back yard. Ran out to the beetle to get the hood up and the heavens opened! I was a drowned rat by the time I got the hood up, literally. Did I smile as I dried off? YES!! She gives with one hand and takes away with the other, you've got to laugh or you'd cry!! :D
Margaret McManus

Postby sleepyjeanne » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:16 pm

named after my mum..and a life long dream to own one......it has a comforting "old" smell...and gives an amazing feeling of freedom......if i momentarily forget what im lucky enough to be driving,i get reminded when i drive past people that smile,wave ..and kids that shout "hippie"...there cant be another experience like it.....
i love my van..........she may not look the best or drive the best....she may be less than kitted out...but i love her.......... :D
.........you gota have FAITH..........
sleepyjeanne

Postby daisy boo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Because she is home after a long rest and looking so so good and flowery too. I was mooching about for mooching sake yesterday when MOT was sorted. So so happy and amanda (mrs boo) is so elated.
daisy boo

Postby maud » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Guys,

My van (paris) does make me smile now and again but she is quite a modern pimped up van due to her being the ex british rugby teams promo vehicle she is all a bit laddish for me. Maybe attachment will come in time...there must be some attachment though as we don't want rid of it.

Maud however my former rusty old retro Westy 1972 with check interior and woodgrain formica cupboards and a terrible oil leak.. said 'I'm an Old Lady' and there was a feeling that you wanted to care for her...although fundamentally it was just a rusty old van really. When I clean Paris I am slightly more heartless, mainly I clean it as i feel if it rusts or the interior goes shoddy then it will lose its value. I don't love Paris in the same way, as maud, though Maud was my first contact with VW...tho it had to be sold because I couldn't afford to fix her at the time. I remember when I sold Maud, I actually felt pain in my heart and a sinking feeling of real loss...thats why we ended up with Paris....just obsessed about replacing it despite the trouble financially it caused. I smile when I think about Maud....she had me emotionally and I still can't explain it...hence the PHD project...to understand why some people as mad and even madder than me. my smile is slightly more coy with Paris perhaps its the second relationship syndrome...going along with it but not always sure LOL
maud

Postby maddison » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 am

maud wrote: In other words next time your van does this to you try to capture why you think its happening...

seeing an old camper on the road, just makes people smile

whether you dont know much about them and your just surprised to see a bright OLD van you have never seen before
whether you`ve seen them in pics and are surprised at just how small they are in real life
whether your just numb from the same cars buzzing passed in the fast lane and the funny old van in the slow lane is a refreshing change
whether they remind you of childhood memories, holidays or just a period in time for whatever reason
its harder work to keep an old vehicle going, when the practical option would be much easier....some people get that and it puts a smile on there face
some people are just laughing AT you, while you laugh AT them

I think what i`m trying to say is its not us (the drivers) you need to ask, we smile because
*** it makes others smile - that makes us smile ***

the reason everyone smiles is
The `nostalgia`
the `step back in time`
the `surprise`
the `refreshing change`
the `absolute inpracticality of it all `

some people may just be laughing , thinking to themesleves `look at that idiot, get a new car`
most the time a journey in the camper is related to a holiday of somekind...a time to smile
sometimes, i`m just smiling , cos the journey is still moving and thats enough to make you smile sometimes

I think we all like to smile and feel emotions, perhaps its just easier to be reminded of this when travelling (or seeing) an old VW on the roads
so thats my final answer, i`m gonna plump for

`they just remind us of the things we sometime forget about`

http://dubenhams.com/
maddison

Postby maud » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:52 pm

I must admit, this is a hard one. I don't smile all the time with Paris, I used to smile more with Maud my old retro Bay. This new modern interior of the 1972 bay, is smart as a button but not quaint like the van with tweed interior.
I think its because I know Paris's story. being the British rugby teams ex promo vehicle does not inspire my soul. its a great non rusty van and people admire it, but a load of rugby players and all that corporate stuff using VW's because they think its cool, retro and low-fi makes me cringe a bit.

That said its not the vans fault.

Keep the comments coming about why we smile...there must be a 1000 variations in terms of our answer he he!
maud

Postby tonuptony » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Ienjoy turning up on a campsite and seeing the new motorhomes and caravans full of plastic people - that makes me smile :D smugg I guess
tonuptony

Postby maud » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for this.

if those people are plastic, how would you describe some Vdubbers LOL.

x

sharon
maud

Postby daisy boo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:47 am

maud wrote:
if those people are plastic, how would you describe some Vdubbers LOL.

x

sharon

made of sterner things such as iron steel and concrete.

we have a harder life to lead in our little "tent on wheels".
daisy boo

Postby maddison » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:45 am

maud wrote: how would you describe some Vdubbers LOL.

oily

http://dubenhams.com/
maddison

Postby Wendy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:54 am

My bus makes me smile because he's mine. Something I have achieved with minimal help and against a lot of odds.
Having had a pretty rotten last few years, divorce, depression etc I got my bus as something just for me, something I have always wanted but was never 'allowed' or in a position to just get. Something to focus on, when it all gets a bit sh*t and overwhelming just thinking about what I need to do to my bus next or what I will be able to do when it has an engine in and an MOT is enough to make me smile. Just sitting in the front seat (or where the front seat should be!) makes me happy.
I suppose it's the escape from 'life' that my bus represents for me, even as a non runner :) The ideal of just getting my stuff and my kids and my dog and running away.

Wendy
Wendy

Postby maud » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi Wendy,

Its nice to hear how much the vans can mean to their owners and some of the reasons behind them. They are not a bad escape vehicle your right.
Anyone else had similar experiences or using them as an opportunity to run away for a while?
maud

Postby Margaret McManus » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Why does your van make you smile?

Well, while washing it yesterday for a wedding, 13 of my neighbours stopped for a chat! Not all together, but every one of them had a smile on their faces! :D
Margaret McManus

Next

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project