Question 5 What does nostalgia mean in relation to your van?

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:58 am

Some folks I have talked to about their vans have mentioned the word 'Nostalgia' when chatting about their vans. Funny but I don't feel that about my new one (Paris) but Maud my first one, I have emotional pangs about her and have certain memories about me sitting in it. Whats everyones take on this?
maud

Postby maud » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:02 am

I am sure everyone knows what Nostalgia means but if this helps answer the question that would be greeeaaatt!!!

The term nostalgia describes a yearning for the past, often in idealized form. Nostalgia sometimes includes a general interest in past eras and their personalities and events, especially the "good old days" of a few generations back recast in an idyllic light.

Giz sum answers pleasez moi!!
maud

Postby maddison » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am

Nostalgia plays a big part of me having an Old VW, anything `old` is going to create a nostalgic memory for someone out there, just like a mutant ninja turtle backpack may be nostalgic for a 15 year old youth

not because i have fond memories of VW from being a child, and a relative owning one...or family holidays... but they do remind me of this time (and before) which is perhaps why I like them

(actually, I do have very disticnt memories of my uncle bobby`s orange beetle , which amazes the family, as i was only a baby. also the orange bay that used to live down the street, and the fastback type 3 that used to park next to the marble drain )

I think everyone who makes the effort (and it is an effort) to keep things from the past in use, deserves respect for that, VW is just a popular and easy to maintain vehicle, they used to be a cheap way into classic ownership (not so much now)
Can nostalgia be associated to a time before you where born - i`m guessing it can
I guess in a way I sometimes feel i`m doing my duty for other peoples nostalgia, as much as my own

I like to think that me taking the bus out for a drive will spark fond memories for others as much as for me

http://dubenhams.com/
maddison

Postby maud » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 pm

I love some of this stuff maddison. It is interesting that when I was at Druridge bay some guy was hiring out old style looking new Westfalias. When I asked a few V-Dubbers whether they would swap their old one for a new 'old' one they said they wouldn't. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
maud

Postby maud » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:09 pm

I thought nostalgia would be a hot topic on the forum. Anyone else for some comments about how the van might hold memories or evoke thoughts about the vans history???

Email me if thats easier....thanks
maud

Postby tonuptony » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Its important to me I thimk backto my childhood when my bus was made its lick being in the tardis
tonuptony

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project