Quest-9 Are you aware of the noises VW makes whilst driving?

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:05 pm

As a VW owner I have become aware of the squeeks, engine rhythm and general mechanical soundtrack noise of the van as I am driving. Usually wondering when my van might implode;)

Anyone else noticed these 'noisy' features which I imagine are different on every VW and if so does it (add) or (detract) from the enjoyment of driving?
maud

Postby The Lockkeeper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:58 pm

OH YES !!

I eventually got round to putting a radio in ( and speakers ), but i very rarely have it on cos I NEED to hear the engine. Stupid really because when the noises do change, I don't do anything except go " Hmmm, the engine noise has changed " and keep on going.
If I'm on a long stretch of dual carriageway where I'm not expecting to slow down or speed up, I might risk a bit of Quo, but just quietly.. :D
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman....

Grant & Sharon / Man-Bug, Early Bay and Hippo.
The Lockkeeper

Postby maddison » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:35 pm

putting the stereo on is tempting fate

even on a 12 hour drive, the only thing i listen too are all the noises of the bus, can drive you a little insane

perhaps i should just turn the music up (on) and relax a little

http://dubenhams.com/
maddison

Postby bertie-bus » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:49 pm

having only had the bus on the road a few months now i am still getting used to the whats right and oh sh*t what is that sound!!
i have now relaxed a little and have found the bus great fun and dare i say relaxing to drive!! :shock:
i honestly had a head ache for the first few weeks driving the bus and found it was because i was clenching my jaw :shock: (probs with worry about what might happen)
i have a stereo of sorts in now but as the speakers are at the back of the bus and its only running from the head unit, it just sounds like im sitting next to some chav on the bus and getting his/her second hand earphone noise :lol: :lol:

you wanna know about worry, put an oil temp or pressure gauge in,,,,, that'll ruin your karma :roll:
bertie-bus

Postby daisy boo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm

bertie-bus wrote:you wanna know about worry, put an oil temp or pressure gauge in,,,,, that'll ruin your karma :roll:

I will have you know our gauges work a treat.

Anyway for noises i know all the noises our van makes. they are part and parcel of the joy of ownership. Her indoors (Mrs BOO) doesnt notice them anyway. and when a newone comes along its :roll: time and shruggy shoulders time. Our radio powers 6 massive speakers and the engine noise drowns these out as well.
daisy boo

Postby famous phil » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:07 pm

maud wrote:As a VW owner I have become aware of the squeeks, engine rhythm and general mechanical soundtrack noise of the van as I am driving. Usually wondering when my van might implode;)

Anyone else noticed these 'noisy' features which I imagine are different on every VW and if so does it (add) or (detract) from the enjoyment of driving?

:D you want to try driving a T3/T25 1.6diesel :lol: the kids used to say are we there yet :!: then they started saying are we going to get there :!: :!: :lol:
phil 07703 844035 t25 spares
too many campers , 1 t25 with peugeot 1.9 dturbo sport engine ,Darlington camper parts
famous phil

Postby Eddy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:21 pm

i ignore the noises there are too many to keep track of haha and just keep an eye on the oil temp guage , if it gets too hot , back off before it dies
Eddy

Postby maud » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Yeah I agree with the idea of listening to the van just to feel like progress is being monitored...in other words listening to the engines heartbeat sort of speak;) to make sure the body is going to keep moving!

Others with blasting CD systems travel with greater confidence perhaps. :lol:
maud

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project