Question 10. How much is VW culture linked to drink culture?

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:24 am

I was talking to a VDubber who said that to have a few drinks at festivals was fundemental to experience and that was part of the consideration before buying the van...the fact that it would allow a bit more freedom to drink due to the camping/festival atmosphere. (too right he he)

That said it would be interesting to see how many dubbers don't have a tipple of booze when they are away.

I am sure we are not all destined for AA LOL!!!

Email or comments would be great on this subject in general
maud

Postby maddison » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

i`d like to think that there was more to a vw event than drinking

i`ve been known to have a shandy, but if booze was totally banned, i`d still be there

however, I think camping and intoxication of one form or another in the UK go hand in hand

http://dubenhams.com/
maddison

Postby maud » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:44 pm

I don't really drink anymore (Ok the odd tipple) but I can easily do an event without cos the people and the vans are enough for me. That said some folks couldn't last 10 minutes on a campsite without cracking open a tinnie and perhaps it is less to do with the van than the way as you say camping and drinking might interwine. Not that theres anything wrong with that of course. Someone joked and said their van was like the shed at the bottom of the garden where you get to hide from the wife and get up to mischeif. A shed on wheels, what a concept he he!
maud

Postby maddison » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:34 pm

....i`d agree with that :lol:

http://dubenhams.com/
maddison

Postby maud » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Not many comments on this one. Anyone like to add anything...even PM me if you fancy.

Maybe drink is related to many cultures in a similar way, therefore the questions a bit rubbish?

I guess being able to use the van as though 'home' from home maybe wouldn't lead to more or less drinking either way.

I think I was wondering if the van motivational for different behavior/enjoyment due to the fact it could take people to places
away from the 'everyday' too.

OR

Not as the case may be
maud

Postby bazaka76 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:21 am

Personal opinion is there isnt a link between the vw culture and drinking. I have been in cycling clubs camping clubs fell walkers and at the end of the day everyone has a drink so its more a human thing or ive got a drink problem :shock:
The act of group gathering encourages a little more drinking than the norm as well as music and fires but the link cant be put down to vw culture.
personal opinion of course.

There is definitely a link between vw's and poor fashion tho :lol:
"your taking up room if you dont live on the edge"

bazaka76

Postby The Lockkeeper » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:00 am

Yeh, agree with Barry. Where two or more are gathered together, so shall we have a can or two. Not peculiar to VW's just peculiar to people getting together and relaxing
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman....

Grant & Sharon / Man-Bug, Early Bay and Hippo.
The Lockkeeper

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project