I'm back...happy new year!!!! Question 12

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:00 pm

Hello folks,

Despite the van still being in storage I thought it would be great to crack on with a question or two on the forum.

Question 12- Whilst happy camping in the van have you ever considered quitting your job/house/homelife and choosing a more nomadic free lifestyle going about in the van? How many have actually done it? Anyone done it and then came back to 'normality?"

Be great to start 2012 with some nice answers,

thanks guys!!

x

sharon :P
maud

Postby Wayne63 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Happy new year :D

For me the answer would be a firm no. My bus is for fun and that's it. I love houses as much as I love VW's. They both hold the same fascination as I love old quirky properties too. I admire people that do pack up and go for a long extended mooch, but for me the idea of living for long periods in a bus would drive me mad! I like my homely creature comforts way too much.
My Rides: No more bug :-(, 2012 Audi B8 S4 Monster, 1970's Mrs C (low mileage matching numbers)
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Postby The Lockkeeper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:17 pm

And his butler gets carsick........ :wink:
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman....

Grant & Sharon / Man-Bug, Early Bay and Hippo.
The Lockkeeper

Postby Wayne63 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:21 pm

The Lockkeeper wrote:And his butler gets carsick........ :wink:

He's getting on a bit Grant. 83 and still going strong :lol: and your right mate he hates long car journeys. I normally make him run behind the car with a tray of G&T ready for when we stop :D
My Rides: No more bug :-(, 2012 Audi B8 S4 Monster, 1970's Mrs C (low mileage matching numbers)
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Postby The Lockkeeper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman....

Grant & Sharon / Man-Bug, Early Bay and Hippo.
The Lockkeeper

Postby Fufina » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi Sharon

Happy new year :-)

Yeah just about everytime we go away on our hols i think about selling up and just living as we go, But then i come home and reality sinks in and i know we just could not do that as Darren and I have far to much crap we would need a million buses to cart it all around lol
Claire

- - - " Darrens Better Half " - - - Image
Fufina

Postby maud » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi Clare,(et al)

Thanks for this.

So the reality is that you like the stuff you have at home too much to sell that and break out for freedom?
Anyone else like to comment? I guess it shows that the 'stuff' we buy does have a certain value that keeps us chained to work/mortgages etc.

I was reading a book about the negativity about new age travellers/people who choose to live 'on the move'.
Not that the book is all negative. That is not to say we are talking hippies with dogs on strings or gypsey cultures either...but I am wondering if how 'one is perceived' by others could lead towards not packing up and having a traveling lifestyle.

xxx :lol:

sharon
maud

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project