Q15- Are most Vdubbers non religious?

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:46 pm

I am not suggesting that we are all a bunch of atheists....

It depends what kind of religion of course we are talking about...buddist, christian etc.

Any thoughts, I haven't seen many van interiors decked out in christian nick nacks so
I was wondering what people thought?

x

sharon

p.s I am booked up for Druridge, Vanfest, volkspower, Tynemouth Rally!!! :D
maud

Postby Wayne63 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Nope, I'm a practicing Catholic and have been into VW's for over 20 years. I pray every time I start my car up :D
My Rides: No more bug :-(, 2012 Audi B8 S4 Monster, 1970's Mrs C (low mileage matching numbers)
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Postby maud » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Do you really prey beforehand...or is that because your scared the engine will blow up LOL
maud

Postby Wayne63 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22 pm

maud wrote:Do you really prey beforehand...or is that because your scared the engine will blow up LOL

:lol: :lol: no I don't really pray. Although It had been known in the past :lol:

Why do you think most VW owners are not religious Maud?
My Rides: No more bug :-(, 2012 Audi B8 S4 Monster, 1970's Mrs C (low mileage matching numbers)
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Postby maud » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:47 pm

Hello,

I am not saying that they are but i have seen little expression or mention of religion when at the festivals (other than VW's lol) or being aware of it being particularly attractive to BME cultures...in other words very few folks from anything other than a white caucasian background seem to go to NE VW festivals.

Just a thought...more comments welcome.

xxxxxx
maud

Postby Wayne63 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Well that's me in a proper minority as I'm a mixed race catholic VW lover :lol:

Interesting question this one Maud. I like it.
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Postby COVIN » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm very religious and also the director of the DRC (Dark Rum Collective) I like to spread the word at every opportunity :D
I'm pleased to say the DRC is growing at a daily rate and my young apprentices of the Dark Keepy-up Potion in a bottle are all instant addicts who pray for more :lol:
There you go, religion, prayer and fellowship all in one. My work here is done.

Praise be the Dark Rum Collective :twisted:

COVIN

Site Admin

Postby The Lockkeeper » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:39 pm

I've never seen a particularly religious bunch at MG meetings I've been to, or the TR club I was in, or indeed at any car - type meeting. I also know a lot of deeply religious Christian folk who have no artifacts or stuff at all in their everyday vehicles. In fact I know several vicars who don't even have a smelly air-freshener cross hanging from their rear view mirror,you wouldn't know it was a vicar-mobile. So I think you've come at this one from the wrong angle Maud

Of course I understand that Wayne has a piece of wood from John the Baptists outside privvy door encased in resin which he keeps in the glovebox of his Bug, and that he only fills his washer bottle with Holy water blessed by The Pope, but that's not necessarily because he's Catholic... :D
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman....

Grant & Sharon / Man-Bug, Early Bay and Hippo.
The Lockkeeper

Postby Wayne63 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 pm

The Lockkeeper wrote:I've never seen a particularly religious bunch at MG meetings I've been to, or the TR club I was in, or indeed at any car - type meeting. I also know a lot of deeply religious Christian folk who have no artifacts or stuff at all in their everyday vehicles. In fact I know several vicars who don't even have a smelly air-freshener cross hanging from their rear view mirror,you wouldn't know it was a vicar-mobile. So I think you've come at this one from the wrong angle Maud

Of course I understand that Wayne has a piece of wood from John the Baptists outside privvy door encased in resin which he keeps in the glovebox of his Bug, and that he only fills his washer bottle with Holy water blessed by The Pope, but that's not necessarily because he's Catholic... :D

Actually it's from Saint Matthews drinks cabinate door and I keep it under the dash :wink:

On a serious note I have been thinking about this question since lasts night. I don't associate my faith with my hobby in anyway what so ever. I am religious and do go to church. I'm also obsessesive when it comes to my car and any other VW I've owned over the last 20 years. No associated connection for me.
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Postby The Lockkeeper » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 pm

I agree with Father Cole.
There's no reason why they should be connected really. Especially if you're as Anal as Wayne ( no offence mate.. :wink: ) because sticking crucifixes on the wall of the Classic Concourse Camper simply wasn't the way VW made it. No good spending 5 years and £15,000 bringing it back to showroom condition then fitting a working scale model of the Spring at Lourdes that Charlie Dimmock would be proud of....it's just wrong

....and candles and Campervans don't mix.. :shock:
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman....

Grant & Sharon / Man-Bug, Early Bay and Hippo.
The Lockkeeper

Postby maud » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks for this lot. Yeah interesting...so hobbies/forms of habitas do not necessarily
express religious interest or views although many vans express personality/style..

What about the class/race element..the festivals don't seem to be that multicultural.

Not a critasizm...just interesting...not many black/asian/chinese etc at small scale festivals

comments would be cool...or maybe I am wrong about this LOL
maud

Postby maddison » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:24 am

^^ thats the north east in general ....in my experience
maddison

Postby maddison » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:06 am

thats my bumper, is it a joke or am I serious ???

It bugs me (bug...get it) when people use the word religion too describe peoples personal faiths....the 2 are linked, but too often confused as the same thing, and the term religion cant be used to describe a personal faith (unless the personal faith is to follow a set religion blindly ...and with faith ;-)

I think faith is a deep and individual subject and you`ll never get a broad 1 cap fits generalisation based on hobby - everyperson you ask will have there own interperation or belief regardless of there interests

back to the race thing....go to Peterlee ASDA and I bet even on the busiest day you`ll be hard pushed to find anyone of any other race than pit folk inbreeds - no joke

I think there are probably some very real reasons based on cultural / historical / social themes that feed into who actually gets invloved in classic cars etc....based on childhood memories, experience, social background blah blah and that could well have an influence on who now attends shows, and how that differs region too region
I would say `classic` car shows do have a demographic...just like VW shows do
also, branding, without wishing to generalise, I wonder if Mercedes car shows have a different ratio ? or Nissan / Toyota, or aston martin.....or if VW`s association with hitler has an subliminal impact
I know from the outside, to me American car shows certainly seem to have an undertone ...with all the flags on display, whether this is intentional or just part of the `scene` hung blindly...i dont know, but perhaps VW shows also give a similar msg, we are oblivious too as we are involved

I cant say i`ve met a higher than average number of racist or generally small minded people at VW shows...in fact...if I compare a VW show to other places I go...work, Peterlee ASDA,etc i`d say the percentages are refreshingly low....maybe thats a reason I like to attend and spend my free time at the events

these are all my own views and someone with different views may well like the `scene ` for a totally different reasons and the opposite end to my view, who knows

all i know is we have wayne, our token black man, so we are sorted (thats a joke :roll:...he`s not even black :lol: )
I think if we could recrute a couple of asians families and a japanese tourist...we`d be sorted
maddison

Postby Wayne63 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 am

When I was growing up in Sumderland any black face I saw was usually related to me. Most be don't see I'm mixed race at all. I'm 2nd generation now with on each occasion the marriage being mixed, I.e. my grandad came from Nigeria in 1938 he married a white woman, my dad is black mixed race and my mum is white, I have an all year round tan :D .

Steve is right in that the NE is not really a diverse population. In London it was dirrefent you would see a larger mix of people at shows. I have to say with the influx of foreign students at Sunderland Uni the ethnic population has increased massively, which is great as a diverse integrated population is a far more interesting place to be part of.

Anyhow I'm quite happy to fly the diversity flag for Flat4Dubs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project