Q15 -Gathering at VW Festivals is a peaceful protest?

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi Guys,

Do you think that VW vans parked up at a festival could be construed as a collective peaceful protest
by people against the values and contraints of modern day life?

OR

A celebration of capitalist driven car cultures relaying on brand identification, oil, steel etc

Or

Both.

or

neither

Feel free to discuss...i think I am wondering if us lot are part time anarchists or not he he!!!

x

sharon
maud

Postby COVIN » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Neither really.

For me it's just about getting away, meeting up with people and having a good laugh. Makes no difference to me if this is at a festival, VW show or just in a camping field somewhere. It's the company that's important :D

Why your wondering if we're all part time anarchists is beyond me though :?
COVIN

Site Admin

Postby maud » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:35 pm

He he I don't think anarchists really, I think as I used to be a hippy chick and a bit
of a rebel (As my father put it...a non conformist LOL) in my teens, I was wondering if having a van i can escape in from time to time was harking back to when I was a biker girl and I used to hit-the-road sort of speak with no responsibilities.

Now I have job, child and all the trappings of normal life hence wondering if the van
represents an alternative to what folks might call conformity. Some people would not be seen dead in a VW
or even a luxury winnebago. It arguably takes a certain kind of person to pursue
this type of leisure and thats interesting and not at all simple really

Thanks for your comment hun;)
maud

Postby COVIN » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 pm

So you were a bit of a rebel/anarchist in your teens eh Sharon..... You naughty girl :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree that some people wouldn't be seen dead in VW, motorhome or even a luxury caravan. My own Father is one of them :lol: He thinks anyone wanting to go camping must be mental when there's perfectly good hotels available :roll:

I wonder if it might be the back to basics escape from the rat race that appeals to us all ? Doesn't seem matter where you go, it always feels good just getting away in your Vdub 8) 8) 8)
COVIN

Site Admin

Postby maddison » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:14 pm

neither
maddison

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project