Q17- Freedom is it really possible with a van?

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:01 am

Can anyone explain:

a. Do VW vans represent the idea of freedom?

b. If so, is it acheivable by using the van and how? :D
maud

Postby maddison » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:11 pm

define freedom :lol:
maddison

Postby maud » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Maddison.

What is freedom to you and does your van help you acheice it?

I guess 'freedom' is different things to different people:) In popular representations of VW Van culture
I think wor vans are promoted as a device of liberation.........usually associated with flower power he he!!!
maud

Postby maddison » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:44 pm

i dont think freedom exists.....its just a concept

so, no, its not possible with a van, the premise that you needed a van to achieve it go`s against the concept of freedom
maddison

Postby COVIN » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Sorry, I just couldn't resist :lol: :lol: :lol:

COVIN

Site Admin

Postby Goldfish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:36 pm

maddison wrote:i dont think freedom exists.....its just a concept

so, no, its not possible with a van, the premise that you needed a van to achieve it go`s against the concept of freedom

Like maddison says, define freedom. If you have a van, you need petrol so you dont have total freedom. But you could say the van gives you freedom to drive off, find a field and park where you like (within reason) without the need for anyone else/hotels etc! So possibly in that sense yes. but tbf a car and a tent would do.

I dont have a van (beetle for now) but when i do it wont mean freedom to me. Probably the opposite when i have to spend loads on it to have it the way i want! It will be another expense and another reason to go to work and make money! A hobby, something to do in my spare time yes...freedom....no.
"It's like the mafia. Once you're in - your in. There's no getting out" - Kelly Slater
Goldfish

Postby maud » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:55 am

Hi guys this is really interesting.

1. SO..when we see VW merchandise (usually split screens with flowers on them and surfboards etc)
What do you think popular representations of van are trying to say about VW culture?

2. Maddison are you saying that jumping in a van is potentially expressing the idea that we are not free?

3. When we got out van...i think I thought getting away...would make me feel free...but it does not actually have that effect...instead it marks out a time allocation I have before going back yo work and makes me realise how little time I have LOL

Any thoughts?
maud

Postby maddison » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:14 am

nope - as I said, Freedom doesnt exist, its an idealistic concept, thats essentially used to describe the opposite of restraint

we live in a society with others and the idea of a society that has no restaint is my idea of hell, so my ideal is a balance of restraint and lack of it

yes, a camper van gives you the ability to go camping in a multi purpose vehicle designed for the job of being a multi purpose vehicle, thats all, its not freedom, its just a vehicle designed to suit a purpose, i`ve never considered camping to be freedom, its just getting out and about and being closer to nature or frends...or both...or neither

the camper does have an association with hippy flower power, thats purely because of the time it was being produced and at the peak of its popularity and I suppose the `hippy` ideal of community, getting back to nature, festivals etc etc.....

the soup dragons famously sang ` i`m free, to do what I want, any old time `

well, no, i`m afraid your not actually, no matter how you look at it, you have restraints, put upon you by others and restraints put upon you by yourself, due to conditioning, so no-ones free, it doesnt exist, only the opposite in varying degrees

The Housemartins once sang - `So this is freedom - {They must be joking} - They must be joking - {If they think its true} `

i think thats nearer the mark than the soup dragons take on freedom :-)
maddison

Postby Goldfish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:38 pm

The way i see it:

For someone with a VW or any classic its more of an expression of their interest in something a bit different, simple basic design and engineering, not just about living in the past or anything, im too young for 60s/70s hippie lifestyle! I dont personally see any freedom created by owning a van. In many circles you are not even free to express yourself in the style of your car! If you do anything a bit different you will quite often get some stick because of it!

I can understand the idea that living out of a van as a hippy type may seem like you have a certain sense of freedom, realistically though i agree with maddison.

Plus like you say, being away in a camper is always going to be a holiday which always makes you appreciate your lack of free time!
"It's like the mafia. Once you're in - your in. There's no getting out" - Kelly Slater
Goldfish

Postby maud » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:30 pm

So is 'ESCAPE' different from the not-really-possibe idea of 'FREEDOM"?

What do you think?

x
maud

Postby maddison » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 pm

....escape implies your trapped or held somewhere against your will
maddison

Postby maud » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Often in tourism they use words like escape to conjure up an alternative term from 'ordinary' life...depends on your point of view on your life...do you escape?...or simply get away from ordinary life in a van...or for some,,,the van represents a way of living not dissimilar to peoples lives outside the experience of van use.

For me..... life becomes significantly worse for a while on a van trip... the reflection of it on the way home
or afterwards is when I most discover satisfaction;) This is can't yet understand he he
maud

Postby The Lockkeeper » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Most people in this country are free to do absolutely whatever they want, as long as they are prepared to accept the consequences of their actions. You can kill, rape, steal, drive fast , drive slow, marry Mackems, all sorts of distasteful things. But there may be consequences. But if you really want to do stuff, you can.It may only be your conscience holding you back, but it's still your choice. Freedom.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman....

Grant & Sharon / Man-Bug, Early Bay and Hippo.
The Lockkeeper

Postby Wayne63 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:12 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mackems are ace partners Grant as you well know :lol:

I get what you are getting at with this question. However I personally see my VW as a means of escape from the day to day norm rather that the perceived freedom. Being able to tinker with the bus or bug unlike the sanatised modern life of things being "pre packed, just unwrap and heat". My BMW doesn't even have manual means of measuring the oil! The computer does it. So having a quirky little Aircooled allows me to escape these restraints and that doesn't even mean going away, it could be an hour faffing around in my garage polishing shiney Aircooled bits :lol:
My Rides: No more bug :-(, 2012 Audi B8 S4 Monster, 1970's Mrs C (low mileage matching numbers)
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Postby maddison » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 am

maddison

Next

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project