Q22 Gypsies, hippies or working people having fun?

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 am

Happy New Year all!!

I survived it, probably two stone heavier though.

Right this years questions.

Most people are really positive about VW vans and their owners however I was wondering if
anyone has ever had flack or been mis-interpretated by folks who don't understand them.

When you see a load of VW vans in a field, do you think some folks thing New Age Travelling folk
or nomads etc.

I guess this is a 'How are we perceived as owners by non-owners?" kind of question
:lol:

xxx
maud

Postby Wayne63 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:42 am

I have never ever heard of anyone or personally been mistaken for gypsies or travellers! I don't think VW's are associated with anything negative in the public eye! I think in general they are looked upon quite fondly by non bus or bug owners.
My Rides: No more bug :-(, 2012 Audi B8 S4 Monster, 1970's Mrs C (low mileage matching numbers)
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Postby maud » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks for this. Interestingly its possibly all about context. I used to get
track-suited kids shouting hippy at me when I was driving and I didn't
even have long hair. Also once I was on a traditional campsite full of
static caravans and there was certainly no conversations had between the
holidaymakers and us LOL. So in other words what you are saying is that
these vehicles are seen as culturally quite respectable machines.

Of course in the days of Woodstock, they were perhaps seen as something
a bit different....transporters for rebellious youths he he :lol:
maud

Postby Eddy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:36 pm

I have had both , negative vibes and comments from the little chavie bastards , and positive from a.more nostalgic older audience. I was eatin fish and chips in the bayside carpark at dusk in newbiggin with the ex and kids when some little arseholes chucked a load of wet sand at my back window. It scared the shit outa me , what they probably didnt realize was the engine was still running so it scared the shit outa them as I wheelspun backwards up the carpark trying to run them over ... Happy days
Eddy

Postby Wayne63 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:46 pm

I think most people now are starting to realise that to own one is actually quite expensive so the perception of that is families and socially responsible members of society own them. IMO anyway.

I've the the exact opposite experience in my early bay on caravan club sites. Within a short space of time ive had a small crowd of people round my bus asking to look in it and asking excited questions. Maybe its the doc martins, jack Russell and tie dye shirts you sport Maud :lol: :lol:

When we at the below caravan club in Devon a few years ago I considered moving as we kept getting pestered by people wanting to look in the bus :lol: . One or two is fine but every 10 mins gets tedious quickly!

My Rides: No more bug :-(, 2012 Audi B8 S4 Monster, 1970's Mrs C (low mileage matching numbers)
Wayne63

Wayneros
Wayneros

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project