Q25 'Home' on the move

VW Campervan Subcultures PHD Research Project By Sharon Wilson. A Self Confessed VW Fanatic

Moderators: Scott-Westy, COVIN, Fufina

Postby maud » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Hello guys,

Yup I am still on with it. I am about to do a chapter about 'home' on the move.
I was wondering how many folks view their bus as a moving house or is it just a tent
on wheels that just gets pitched on arrival at a festival and the journey before is not even thought about?

I want to talk about how people use their vans as something 'homely' whilst moving.
An example would be playing cards or eating on the move or lounging in the backseat sofa on the move. Or relaxing like you might do at home after work...but in a van on the move.

Any comments, thoughts....am I making sense even? LOL

x

sharon :rolf:
maud

Postby maud » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Interesting no replies yet. I wonder if this is a daft question lol. Maddison usually add something. Any comments would be great as I am trying to get my head around this home on the road lark

Xxxxx
maud

Postby The Lockkeeper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Whatever happened to your bus ? Did you get rid of it ?
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman....

Grant & Sharon / Man-Bug, Early Bay and Hippo.
The Lockkeeper

Postby maud » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Yes I did in the end. It was worth a lot more so I quit while I was ahead. I might buy a Vw tent instead. :lol:
It was a very solid bus I have to say.

Xxxx
maud

Postby The Lockkeeper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Did you find it homely ? Did you treat it as a home from home or was it just somewhere to sleep??
See..? If you'd kept it you could have answered all these questions yourself.... :lol:
Always be yourself.

The Lockkeeper

Postby maud » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Ha ha....I can answer those questions but mine will be different from yours. No I didn't feel homely most of the time. I thought it was a massive hassle and couldn't get to grips with it most of the time. That said loved meeting people at the festivals but always hankered for my own bed. What about you?
maud

Postby The Lockkeeper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Na. Mine's not homely. It's a form of transport first and foremost and most mornings I wake up with a terrible pain in my buttock so it's not even particularly comfy without copious amounts of alcohol.
And the last time we tried to play Frustration in the back while travelling I went straight over a roundabout narrowly missing two old men walking their Jack Russels.....
Always be yourself.

The Lockkeeper

Postby tudor rose bugger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 pm

maud wrote:Ha ha....I can answer those questions but mine will be different from yours. No I didn't feel homely most of the time. I thought it was a massive hassle and couldn't get to grips with it most of the time. That said loved meeting people at the festivals but always hankered for my own bed. What about you?

This is the same as most even the hardcore Vw lot so you Have lived the scene and the ownership side so can answer most questions you are asking
Carl and nicola

www.Classic-campers.org & www.classicices.com Image

my rides
2010 T5.1 sexy black, 68 bay tintop, 72 bay now Tintop, 69 bug, 71 bug, 63 type 3, and now a bloody 64 splitty also a 70's mrs c but hopefully not the same one as another member on here ??
tudor rose bugger

Postby maud » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:12 am

Hello Carl. I can't answer all the questions myself :lol: that's the beauty off it. If the vehicle is a pain in the backside for a lot of folks...maybe joining the scene is less about the bus but something else? The home from home thing I guess came from the fact folks deck them out like houses and often with the own styles etc...perhaps those reasons are not deep concepts but they are culturally identifiable and significance meeethinks :D

Thanks for the answer by the way gary that ones going straight in the phd

Any other home stuff please comment anyone as I am doing my chapter on this now lol
maud

Return to VW Campervan PHD Research Project